Main Attrakionz- “New World (SAH Exclusive)” (from 3 Years Ahead: The Cloud Rap Tape, Space Age Hustle, 2010)
A few months ago, Soft Money and I were talking about new rap we were liking, especially the stuff from the Green Ova camp in Oakland and Huntsville’s recent output. Connecting the dots to other acts like Lil B, we began referring to the stuff as “cloud rap”, based off of an off-handed Noz comment about hanging out with Lil B. The more we thought about it though, the more we felt that there was enough steam behind this growing movement towards blunted, ethereal, otherworldly beats and lyrics that it was worth making a tape over.
Make no mistake: “cloud rap” is not the newest sub-sub-sub-genre of rap music we’re tying to forcefully bring to life. Instead, “cloud rap” is more of a thematic movement: not all rappers make cloud rap, and not all rappers that make cloud rap make it exclusively. However, in 2010, we’ve seen a lot of new artists singularly focused on stepping outside of rap’s comfort zone and doing what they want with beats and lyrics. While Lil B’s rising #based movement and Outkast’s otherworldly personalities make them both patron saints of the style, new artists like Main Attrakionz and G-Side have added their own flavors to the mix (lo-fi sensibilities and trance-like synths, respectively). It’s not just production-wise, either. Consider the way Main Attrakionz flip “O Let’s Do It” on “I’m Back on Deck”, or the screwed-up remix of Wiz Khalifa’s “Up” from Odd Future. These guys bless the track with their own unique visions to create a sound all their own.
This tape has been in the can for about a month now, and we could have added a few new tracks to it (a couple Lil B tracks, Yung Clova’s “Hi-Fi”) but chose to hold off. This is strictly a fan-made mixtape: you won’t find any exclusives on here with the exception of “New World” by Main Attrakionz. We tried to make it as diverse as we could, but invariably a few of the same names pop up across the tape. However, we consider this a good primer to a sound that has sprung up big this year.
Original cover art was done by the greatest Canadian, Gucci Jade le Fleur. Tracklist and download link below.
1. Lil B- B.O.R. (Birth of Rap) (prod. by Tre G)
2. Lil B- I’m God (prod. by Clams Casino)
3. Main Attrakionz- Legion of Doom (prod. by Squadda B)
4. Main Attrakionz- Rewind (Priceless) (prod. by Squadda B)
5. G-Side- Back 2 the Future (prod. by R. Dot)
6. Inkrowd- Southern Funk (prod. by Inkrowd)
7. Havoc- Always Have a Choice (prod. by Clams Casino)
8. Main Attrakionz- I’m Back On Deck (prod. by Squadda B)
9. MondreM.A.N.- A Man’s Life (prod. by Squadda B)
10. Main Attrakionz- New World (prod. by Squadda B)
11. Main Attrakionz- Still the Legion (prod. by Squadda B)
12. G-Side ft. Chris Lee- Money in the Sky (prod. by Basmo Beats)
13. Lowe ft. Clova- Flinstones (prod. by Rod “JR” Lumpkin)
14. G-Side ft. Jhi-Ali and Geographer- Impossible (prod. by Block Beattaz)
15. Squadda B- MP3 Racked Up (prod. by Squadda B)
16. Odd Future- Up (Screwed and Chopped by Mike G)
Edit: Just wanted to add that we took the name for this tape from Main Attrakionz MySpace page (which I currently cannot find after a cursory Google search) that had their “Location” listed as “Three Years Ahead”. -$M